Friday, February 08, 2008

1675 Frozen Friday

Friday, February 8, 2008

Outside, it's slightly above freezing. Inside, the thermostat says it's 75. I'm wearing closed shoes, socks, jeans, the usual underwear, and a long-sleeved heavy cotton t-shirt. And over it all, Jay's big heavy terry robe. Which is floor-length on me, and wraps around almost twice.

And still, I'm freezing.

My hands are cold. My feet and legs are cold. My nose is cold. I can't get warm. About the only thing that works is to crawl into bed.

This happens every so often, and I don't know why. Back when Jay was alive and I got this way, he'd have me hold my hands in hot water. It worked then, but it's not working now. Maybe because then he had his arms around me while I ran the hot water over my hands.

It's not like I don't have calories to burn. So far today I have eaten one container of yogurt, a huge honey ham cheddar cheese lettuce tomato sweet pepper bacon wrap, some potato chips with horseradish dip, several cups of sanka with vanilla sugar-free creamer, two cups of tea, some rice crackers, a handful of raw stir-fry veggies, and 180 calories-worth of Starbucks frappuccino. Plus there's that extra 15 pounds I'm carrying that my body is welcome to burn whenever it wants to.

But I'm freezing.

Back when I went through menopause, I had very little problem with hot flashes. I had them, but seldom, and mild.

I'd welcome one of them now.

I'm off to boost the thermostat. Maybe it's broken and lying, and it's actually 50 degrees in here? Nah. It's right. I'm wrong. My internal thermostat is broken.

----------------------------

Slightly later - Something I'd noticed: I don't feel cold in the house when the sun is up, no matter what the thermostat says. It's always after the sun goes down that I start feeling so deep bone cold. And it's worse on an evening when the day had been cloudy. Today was cloudy. I don't know whether I'm sensitive to the heat the house collects from the sun, and notice when it's not there, or whether I'm sensitive to the sun itself. But it's definitely lack-of-sun-related.

----------------------------

Even later - How do I know it's dark out, or cloudy? The lights are on in the house! When do I get cold? When the lights are on! That's it! The lights are sucking the energy out of me!
.

4 comments:

Chris said...

I hate being cold! For me, nothing beats long underwear and wool socks, hiding under a blanket:)

Unknown said...

Damn lights! theres nothing that a little warm sun-shine cant fix-- drink it up tomorrow, if its above 60 where you live, and you wont feel so bad...

~~Silk said...

Above 60? Snork! It's 26 out there now. We're lucky to make it to 40 on the best of days. Weatherman is predicting 31 and a few inches of snow tomorrow.

~~Silk said...

Well, Chris, I hid some long underwear and wool socks under the blanket, went out to the kitchen and waited a while, went back and checked the stuff under the blanket, and it didn't turn into a man. Phooey.