Monday, July 23, 2007

1398 Blam!

Monday, July 23, 2007

This is a video of a bunch of guys shooting, and recoil blows them across the room. [Feeds may not show the video - click on the post title to see it.]


I was reminded of the time the guys on the rifle range at the base gave me a big one. It was so heavy and my arms were so short I couldn't hold it up. I kept tipping forward. So they had me lie on my stomach on the gravel to shoot it.

This was 1961. No sissy ear protection. I was 16 years old, and weighed about 103 lbs.

It threw me three feet back on my belly, skidding, skinned up my elbows, thighs, and hip bones really badly, dislocated my collarbone, and left my ears ringing for a week. I've been a tad hard of hearing in my right ear ever since.

But I hit the target ... and decided not to take up elephant hunting.
.

No comments: