Thursday, February 22, 2007

1129 Eclectic Dinner

Thursday, February 22, 2007

I delivered more Frolic flyers today, one to 0mega Institute. 0mega is one of those personal development type places, a cluster of buildings and campground in the woods, expensive workshops, heavily into yoga and popular "Buddhism", with heavy doses of inner light. Which is ok if you know what you're talking about, but most of the 0megans I've run into are just plain flakes.

Anyway, starting just beyond Rhinebeck, the roads are full of signs, "0mega -->". I'd never been there before, so I followed the signs. Many many turns later, I found the place. After delivering my flyer, I got out the county map, and figured out where I was. I was annoyed to find that the "-->" signs had added about 30%, 5 miles, to the trip. There was a much shorter and straighter way out. Somehow it fit with my thoughts of the institute and its thought patterns.

Something that didn't fit -
When I started out delivering, it was raining. By the time I got to 0mega, it was snowing. As I walked from the parking lot to the office door, in one spot near the beginning of the walk, and only in that spot, there was a very strange sound, like corn popping. It was the snow hitting the walk, maybe there was ice in the snow, but why in only that spot? I looked, and just at the edges of wherever I was looking, there were tiny explosions as something hit the ground, and that's what was causing the popping sound. Whatever hit the walk was exploding. Nowhere else but that one spot.

When I left the building, I stopped at the end of the walk again to listen and try to figure it out. Another woman, an 0mega employee, left the building, and as she approached me, I said "Listen. Can you hear that popping sound? Isn't that strange? It's only right here." She said "Oh, it's probably just hail" and kept on walking. No interest.

Who was the true 0megan?

Tonight was another Mensa dinner. It used to be the Ethnic dinner, but they've changed it to the Eclectic dinner, because we were running out of acceptable ethnic restaurants. There were nine of us tonight. Roman wasn't there, which is unusual. I don't know that he's ever missed an "E" dinner unless he was teaching an evening class, and he didn't have a class tonight. Since I told him what I thought of The Duchess last Thursday, I've sent him one newsy email, and received a pleasant response, and when I didn't get the usual call Tuesday or Wednesday night, I figured it was because he figured he'd see me at the dinner. So, perhaps I really did finally blow it. Or maybe he had to go to LI on estate business. Oh, well. Get used to it, Silk.
.

1 comment:

Becs said...

If I may use some of Reality Check Woman's tough love, isn't this the guy who was cheating on you?

You blew it? Heck, no. He did, dear Silk.