Monday, January 29, 2007

1093 Sunday's Memorial

Monday, January 29, 2007

I had a terrible time getting on the road to Long Island yesterday, more about that later, but I'm glad I went. Roman's directions were clear and easy, and it took about 2 hours and 15 minutes, in heavy but fast-moving traffic. (Too fast, in fact. I don't normally exceed the speed limit, but in dense traffic I'll move to the right and travel at the same speed as everyone around me. Yesterday that meant 65 to 70 in 55 mph areas. I really don't like that, but "they" tell me it's actually safer than obstinately holding to 55.)

There were quite a few people there, including Roman's cousins, his sister and his daughter, nieces and nephews, and family friends. They seemed like a nice bunch. After some socializing and munchies, Roman's nephew led a prayer and group reading. Then Roman and his sister introduced everyone, and then people talked about Roman's parents, their memories of them. It was very nice. I'd never met them, but I got a good sense of them, putting together what Roman has told me and what was said yesterday. There was more socializing and desserts - one of them the most delicious chocolate mocha cakes I'd ever tasted.

I had taken the fruit salad, and got several compliments on it - it disappeared faster than anything else on the table. Which I mention only because I am a disaster in the kitchen, especially when I make anything to share. I can ruin the simplest concoction.

I left about 5:30, and except for one easily rectified missed turn, made it home without incident.

------------------------------------------

The trouble getting on the road:
We already know about the flat tire that consumed Saturday. When I went to the grocery store to buy the fruit (and a bunch of other stuff) Saturday evening, I found that they no longer took checks with a driver's license. They now require their own id card, and they wouldn't take a credit card either, without their id card. So I was forced to use cash, which left me with only $14 in my purse. No problem, I can go to the ATM in the morning, right?

So Sunday morning I head out, and notice that I need gas. No problem. Get money, get gas, right?

I knew I was in trouble when the ATM couldn't read my card. Multiple tries.

I tried the VISA from the same bank, hoping that it had the same PIN as the ATM card and I could get cash, but no go. I then went to a different bank in the village, hoping that the problem was with the reader at the first ATM, but the second machine wouldn't read it either. Went to the gas station, paid for gas with the VISA, and unsuccessfully attempted their ATM, too, with no luck.

Now, this is the gas station with Tall Dark and Handsome #1 and 2, with whom I have been mildly flirting for years. They see me several times a week, they're my main iced tea source. On several occasions I'd stupidly been caught short, and they have cheerfully allowed me to leave with my purchases and pay later. TD&H #2 was on duty, and I asked if he'd cash a check for me, and I got a curt "No, we don't cash checks." So I asked if I could get cash on the VISA, and got "No, we don't do that." To put it mildly, I was stunned.

I headed down the river with $14 in my purse, and a fervent hope that my EZ-Pass would continue to work on the bridges. I was beginning to get the feeling something didn't want me to go, or, more likely, was testing my resolve to go.

Today, Monday, I went to the bank to have the ATM card checked out. Over the years it has occasionally needed to be rewritten. This time, the cashier said that the strip is badly worn (it's many years old), and I'd need a new card. Seven to ten days. Ouch!
.

No comments: