Friday, December 29, 2006

1042 Frustration #1

Friday, December 29, 2006

There are a bunch of things I've been frustrated by, or just fussing over, for the past few days. This is one of them.

FirstWoman and I have been talking about going to New World Home Cooking for New Year's Eve, but until last night it was all still up in the air, because it needed coordination with several other people. Last night we decided fooey on them, we're doing it, we'll tell them we're doing it, and they can show up or not. But she's on a budget and couldn't handle the full dinner package, which would be $100 per person, so we'd do the dance only, which would be $20. I figured it might be a bit late for anything, but I'd call NWHC today and find out.

In the meantime, a substantial Christmas check arrived in this morning's mail.

I thought about it for about three minutes. I have never, in my whole life, been "out" doing anything special on New Year's Eve. Except for when I was married to Jay, I'd always been pretty much alone when the year turned. Razzelfrats! I have an opportunity, I have a companion, I have some extra money, I wanna do it! I'll treat FirstWoman to the whole works.

So I called the restaurant/club and asked if they were still taking reservations for the dinner package. She said yes, but that they were full, and were putting people on a waiting list, and there would be ten tables ahead of us on the list. Gah. I know darn well that none of those ten is going to call and say "Have to cancel...", so it would be a matter of showing up and seeing if we could get in. It's over an hour's drive for FirstWoman. Not cool. The dance alone, however, does not require a reservation, it's pay at the door, so that's still an option, but I'd hate to arrive and find no space in the parking lot. Which is likely. It's full on an ordinary Friday night. And there's no street parking - it's on a highway. In the middle of nowhere.

I don't know what to do.
.

No comments: