Monday, December 25, 2006

1033 Gifts

Monday, December 25, 2006

I feel like just because of the date up there I'm supposed to say "Merry Christmas". Of course, being me, I'm rebelling. The particular date is not especially significant. I don't want to wish people a merry Christmas, because Christmas has been hijacked. Instead, if you are Christian, I hope that today you will think not of the birth, but will reflect on the life and the teachings, and what those teachings mean to your life. Giving gifts to close acquaintances on one day is ok if that makes you (and them) happy, but the real lesson is generosity of the spirit toward everyone, every day, all year. I wish you renewed personal dedication to spiritual generosity.

For my Jewish friends, I hope that the past Hanukkah has reminded you of your strength of community and the reserves of power in each individual. I wish you renewed resolve.

For my Muslim friends, I celebrate the renewal of community and charity exemplified by Eid.

For my Pagan and "other" friends, Yule represents renewal in all - the return of the sun and the rebirth of the earth (well, the northern hemisphere, anyway). I wish you all renewed energy and vitality.

Those are my gifts for today - gifts I can't give, but which you are free to take.
.

No comments: