Saturday, October 21, 2006

939 I'm Tired of Looking Tired

Saturday, October 21, 2006

Every time I leave the house with no makeup on, and not just lately, it's been since my early thirties, people tell me I look tired. Or sick. I don't wear that much makeup - spot coverup on my scars, eyebrow pencil and brown eyeliner and mascara, and that's about it. Sometimes lipstick, sometimes powder, depending on how fancy I feel. Never base or rouge.

My main problem, I guess, is that my eyes are light, my eyebrows are scanty and blonde, almost not there, and my eyelashes, although long enough, are also blonde. So without makeup I look pale and washed out.

Two of the four recessed floodlights in the kitchen burned out today, so I went to the grocery store this evening to buy some. They didn't have any of the type I need, so I just got yogurt and bread. The checkout lady, one of my favorites, ask me what was wrong. I said "Nothing, why?", and she said I looked tired. I said no, that I just wasn't wearing any makeup. She proceded to tell me that I was even moving more slowly, like I was tired. I said no, I'm really ok. She said I even said that in a tired way.

I had been just fine when I went in. By the time I left, I did feel tired. She convinced me.

Sigh.

I'm half tempted to get eyebrows and eyeliner tattooed on, but I'm afraid they'd screw it up and I'd be stuck with a mess. Plus as I get older I might want the eyebrows lighter, and I don't know how that would work. Sister has tattooed eyeliner. I'll have to check hers out better next time I see her.

Sheesh. Wouldn't that hurt? What do you look like until it heals?

3 comments:

Becs said...

I'm very wary of anything permanent like tattoos. My vote is to stick with what you've been using.

The clerk may be your favorite but she wasn't exactly tactful that day.

If you're looking for something to 'do', go see a dermatologist. There are apparently all kinds of clever things they can do these days to brighten one's appearance.

Queen_Mum said...

To my horror my 90-year-old aunt had this done by a tattoo artist. They look perfectly natural. She was told they fade over time and may have to be redone. Don't think they hurt her. She didn't complain.

Anonymous said...

Tattooed eyeliner is temporary. It wears off after a few years. So, you would have to have it done again, and it wouldn't be permanent. I've never seen anyone with it done, and I know my husband doesn't do it. But I've seen a sign somewhere Uptown that does it. Tattoos scab up, and flake for a week after having it done, but the linework is much less awkward than the color, simply because it doesn't cover as much open space. I'll see if I can find anything else out about it for you.