Saturday, October 21, 2006

938 The Warden's Dilemma

Saturday, October 21, 2006

This week's book is The Warden Wore Pink, Tekla Dennison Miller's experiences as the first female warden of a Michigan male prison. I am enjoying her stories, like the incident of the car bombs.

There was reason to believe that one of five cars belonging to the warden and her staff had been rigged to blow up. The police sent a bomb squad. The owners of the cars were given a choice:
  1. The police could absolutely guarantee that there was no bomb by stripping the cars down to the bare metal. "But we won't put them back together again."
  2. They could be reasonably sure there's no bomb by searching without stripping the cars completely, but "you'll have to start the cars yourself when we are finished." (This was 1977 - no remote starters)
  3. They would simply explode the cars.

All five opted for choice #2.

The comic relief in her rendition of the story is provided by the media.

I've been thinking about it for four days now, and I still don't know what I would have chosen. If there was a bomb, they had an idea who would have been responsible for planting it. I might have let the car sit there indefinitely, until the culprit had been apprehended.

These five, after the police search, one by one, started their cars.

Eek! I don't know if I would have had that much faith or courage.

What would you have done?

1 comment:

Becs said...

First, I would check with my insurance company to see if it would be covered. Then I'd let the cops blow up my car. Yeah!