Friday, September 01, 2006

859 Museum Concert

I worked (volunteer) at the Maritime Museum's benefit concert this evening. I arrived at 3 pm and helped set up, then got to sit by the gate to the yard and sell tickets.

The sloop Clearwater was tied up at the dock, and chairs had been set up in the yard facing the boat, right behind where I was sitting. Off to the side was the gazebo where there was wine, and off to the side was a large tent with soda, fruit, cheese, veggies, and all kinds of little sandwiches.

Performers were Rich Bala opening, and then Jay Ungar and Molly Mason (who achieved national recognition for Ashokan Farewell, the theme music for Ken Burn's The Civil War). Their stage was the deck of the Clearwater. When the show started, all I had to do was turn my chair - I was about 30 feet away. The setting was beautiful, with the wooded opposite bank, the creek, the kayakers and sail boats passing, the incredibly high mast of the Clearwater.

The only jarring note was that it being Friday evening, there was music on the Strand, soft rock, amplified, less than a block up the street, and our music had to compete.

I was glad to see Rich. It is his wife who was so good to Jay, who worked so hard to get the invention patented, and was so nice as to keep me informed throughout the process.

1 comment:

Chris said...

I love outdoor venues like that. Except for the competing music, it sounded like a wonderful evening.

Chris
My Blog