Thursday, August 31, 2006

858 Cilantro

Thursday, August 31, 2006

Got nuthin' much to say today, so I'm gonna complain about cilantro.

Jay's favorite salsa tasted like soap to me. He disagreed. He thought I was crazy. Well, it turns out I'm not crazy. For some people, cilantro DOES taste like soap, and for some of them, the taste of soap is so strong it overwhelms the food. It's genetic. Just like some people can smell asparagus in urine, and some people can't. That's genetic, too (not the smell, everyone's urine smells funny if they've been eating asparagus - but that only some people can detect it).

That explains why I don't care for Mexican food. A lot of it tastes like soap. And I'm sorry, but it's not likely to be something I can "get used to".

6 comments:

~~Silk said...

The world's divided into those to whom it tastes like dishwashing detergent, and those to who it tastes citrusy, lemony. Acquiring a taste for citrus I can understand, but soap? Nah.

BTW - I'm told that if you make sure it's very fresh, and there are no stems included, the soap taste is reduced somewhat.

~~Silk said...

(Whom, not who. Bleck!)

Ally said...

i love cilantro. my ex-college roommate would always tell the waiter/waitress to not put cilantro in...after reading this, i probably know why now.

Anonymous said...

i have to agree with you, i too hate cilantro, but i love mexican food. living in so.fla. you sort of have to get used to it!!!

roberta

Chris said...

I LOVE cilantro but knew that certain people have that taste affliction that makes it taste like soap.

What I did not know was that only some people can smell the asparagus in urine. I thought everyone could smell it.

I can go back to bed now....i've learned something today.

Chris
My Blog

~~Silk said...

The folks who can't smell asparagus in urine are the snobs who "think their piss don't stink". (snicker....)