Tuesday, August 29, 2006

855 They're Back! (800-503-7001)

If you are reading this entry because you searched for info on 800-503-7001, please leave a comment telling us what your experience was with the caller from that number. Help the next person who finds this entry.

I noticed that this past week I've been getting hits again from people searching for 800-503-7001. It had stopped for a while, but has started up again. I guess whoever is making calls from that number is bothering people again. Oddly enough, a call TO that number cannot be completed. Someone told me it may be a "catchall" number, used as a placeholder for calls from outside the US, calls made on a prepaid calling card, whatever. It doesn't seem to be a valid traceable "owned" number.

From past comments, my own experience, and friends to whom I have spoken, it seems that the people calling from 800-503-7001 are running a scam. They target businesses and claim to be able to boost your online search ranking, or list you in online or local hardcopy phone or business directories, or whatever. The websites they mention don't exist. They won't take no for an answer, even when you say no, and they will put their charges on your telephone bill!!

If you've had a call from them, watch your phone bill carefully for the next few months, and contest any unidentified charges. I got a call from them this morning. I hung up on them. (I have not contacted the phone company about them because I haven't given them any information, haven't been caught in any of their schemes, and don't have the time to fuss with them. Be my guest.)

If you searched for 800-503-7001 and found this entry, you have a story to tell. Please comment. Don't worry about the "login" part - you don't really have to log in. Your comment will show up after I make sure it's not spam.

No comments: