Saturday, June 03, 2006

717 Searching for a French Poem

I am searching for the poem that begins "Quand on voit sur la branche au mois de mai la rose". I know the first verse, but the title and the rest is lost in the mists of time (I had to memorize it in seventh grade, 1957). Google gets me only that much, from someone's blog. If anyone knows the entire poem, or can find it online somewhere, please send me a pointer. It's been bugging me for years.

Note - the punctuation may be different. I'm not sure where commas might be inserted. I cut it into phrases to search, and still got only the one hit.

Thank you.

2 comments:

Herlock Sholmes said...

Sounds like on of the early Beaudelaire poems. I would have thoguhtt here would be a comma before "la rose".

Try "Les fleurs du Mal"

Let me know how you get along

Herlock Sholmes said...

I was wrong, not Beaudelaire, Ronsard

http://www.bewilderingstories.com/issue176/Ronsard.html

13 years of education and I confused Beadelaire and Ronsard, my mom would be ashamed of me