Sunday, May 28, 2006

709 Lost

I forget what evening it was, but it was recently, "Lost" was on the TV, not because I was watching it, I haven't watched "Lost" this season at all, I got frustrated because it didn't seem to be going anywhere, it was just on for the background noise, anyway, it was on and I wasn't paying much attention.

But still, I noticed a few things. Things that might be another reason I quit watching it.

  1. One guy in the underground chamber gets suspicious because he notices a tear in the leg of the protective suit worn by the other guy, who had just come in from outside, where the air is supposedly poisonous. The other guy gets ready to go outside again. Protective hooded suit (with tear in the leg), goggles, gas mask, etc. The suspicious guy decides to follow him. Critical plot point. Now, I noticed that the protective suit and mask combination does not cover the chin and neck! They're bare. So how could a tear in the leg of the suit be significant? Did I miss something?
  2. They missed putting the numbers in the computer, and some kind of very strong magnetic field is generated. Very heavy metal things are flying across the room and getting stuck to a wall. They do some quick number-inputting and the computer is fine again and the magnetic field drops. Um, wouldn't a magnetic field that strong kinda mess up the computer and peripherals?
  3. My cryptic note here says "rollover". If I can remember what that means, I'll update. I seem to think it has something to do with a center of weight being too low for a vehicle rollover they showed. Does anyone have any idea what I may have noticed?

Somebody's not watching to ensure that things make sense. I can suspend belief, but not logic.

----------------------------------

There used to be a job on movie and TV sets, called "continuity". That was a person in charge of ensuring that things were the same over cuts and reshoots. Somewhere, somehow, somebody must have decided continuity wasn't important. You don't see it much in the end credits any more.

Lack of continuity is another thing that drives me crazy. I get hung up on it.

That's when, for example, you have a man and a woman in conversation, and the camera cuts back and forth between them, and in half the shots, the woman has a scarf over her shoulder, and in half the shots the scarf isn't there. My mind gets hooked on imagining her whipping the scarf on and off every five seconds, and wondering why she's doing that, and I miss the whole conversation.

Lack of continuity drives me bonkers.

No comments: