Friday, June 02, 2006

716 I Found a Convenient Treadmill

Friday, June 2, 2006

Stopped by Piper's office today to remind him that I need some money to pay the estimated taxes on the 15th. I had mentioned it to him Tuesday, but now I'm worried that he may not remember. Tuesday was the day he was pickled.

He had called Roman on Tuesday while I was there, to set up more tutoring, and left a message on Roman's machine. But yesterday, Piper was all excited because Roman had called him on Wednesday. Piper seemed to think it was an unsolicited/friendly call, so I'll bet he doesn't remember calling Roman. A reminder that I need a check is therefore in order.

He wasn't in. Aggghhh!

--------------------------------

I worked out on the machines today, then stopped by the auction house to preview tomorrow night's auction. George has "contents of a container from Hong Kong" up for auction, and I was curious. There are several chests similar to some I have, so I think I'll go to the auction if only to see what they sell for. He also has several small cubical top-opening painted chests, one of which would work very nicely as a lamp/clock table in my bedroom, so maybe I can get one of those cheap. I won't bid high on them, because I have some nice Chinese hardware stowed away, and the box itself would be easy to make (although camphor wood won't be likely if I make it) and fun to paint, so, we'll see.

I happened to notice that there's a new "women's fitness center" right next to the auction hall, so I stopped in and wow! they have treadmills! - one of them with a soft surface and the option of no incline. So I got a special deal on a three-month membership, and I did a mile right then and there.

The treadmill will be better for losing weight, so I'll try to do the machines at the first place two or three times a week now, at least until that membership expires, and the treadmill at the second place almost every day. Three months is perfect, because that's through the hot months, and by September I should have my own treadmill in the bedroom unburied and serviced. (Yeah, the clutter is THAT bad.) Also, this place is open from like 7 to 7, but they will give you a key, and you can come in any time, even the middle of the night. Great. I can throw a clot and have a stroke, and not be found until 7 am. But, I guess that's still better than if I use the treadmill at home. Then it could be weeks before anyone misses me. I wonder if their insurance company knows they let people in alone?

-------------------------------

I got a sales call from my telephone company yesterday. I have two lines - one dedicated to the computer. So the guy offered me a plan whereby I could have just one line and still make calls while I was on the computer, for "only" $75 a month. I pointed out that that's "only" $30 more than I'm paying now for the two lines combined, plus my ISP. So he came back with another offer which included unlimited long distance calls for the $75. (I guess you don't get to hear about that plan unless you turn the first offer down?) I pointed out that I don't use the house phones for long distance, I use the cell phone. Then he offered me all of the above, plus the phone company's ISP services (email, site hosting, buncha storage) for the same price. I told him I had seen his company's email service, and it was the clunkiest, most awkward, least intuitive design I had EVER seen (it's what Piper uses), and --- no thanks.

I think I made him cry.

No comments: