Tuesday, May 30, 2006

712 Pickled Piper

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

At about 3:30 today, I intended to go to the drug store, the grocery store, get in a walk around the village, do the exercise machines (I want to lose those last 20 lb. before August, and I seem to have been at a plateau for the past month), and maybe stop in at Piper's office.

As I was driving through the village, I saw Piper heading for the post office and flagged him down, so we went directly back to his office. I had sent him some of the falls photos in an email, but I knew he wouldn't know how and would need help to get to them.

Piper was in very rare form. Some friends of his from Wall Street were moored at the marina in Kingston, and he had been out fishing with them all day. He was feeling good. Very good. Multiple beers in the sun and "I caught a fish!" worth of good. He gets very hyper when he's feeling good. (I'm not sure how big this boat is, but there are apparently several bedrooms.) We downloaded the falls photos, but I'm sure he won't remember tomorrow. He intended to go out again with the friends this evening. I kept telling him he should go home and take a nap first.

Then he invited me to go out with them. I was a bit leary about going out with a bunch of businessmen on the town, but then after I thought about it, and after he assured me I wouldn't cramp anyone's style, I decided it might be a good idea. Piper was going to need a designated driver. I told him to call me when he had details - and "for pity's sake, go home and take a nap!"

I ran my errands, managed a short walk, stopped to talk to the Hunk, showed him the cleared woods and discussed what needs to be done, got in about 6:30 - and found a phone message from Piper. He had crashed, I guess. Sounded very down, very tired. Was going to stay in. Would call me tomorrow. Maybe go out tomorrow evening. (I wonder how long his friends plan to stay?)

I'm not surprised. He can get so excited that he tires himself out.

------------------------------------

The background noise this evening is Gilmore Girls. Critics love it, and I suppose it might be pretty good, but the way the females on that show talk, the very fast very clipped banter, annoys me. It makes my back tighten.

No comments: