Sunday, May 28, 2006

708 Sunday

Very warm today. I went to the Antiques Fair this afternoon. There were literally hundreds of antiques dealers there, all set up in little booths inside long fairgrounds buildings. There were fans, but it was still pretty hot inside.

I was mildly hoping that a dealer from Mass. that I've been online flirting with would be there, but, naturally, he wasn't.

I didn't go to buy, Daughter. I've got everything I could want or need (except for a center table for the living room). Mainly I just like to look at stuff, and perhaps get an idea of what some of my things might be worth.

I did find a rosewood table that would be perfect for the living room, but it was $2700.00. I didn't buy it.

I also looked at a necklace, made of random-shaped pieces of ancient roman glass. Blue, purple, green, silvery, golden iridescence. Most beautiful thing I've seen in months. $2500.00. I didn't buy it.

When I handed it back to the woman, I said "I love it, but not two refrigerators worth."

I didn't buy anything but lunch.

The electricity at the fairgrounds died at about 3 pm, while I was outside eating some ice cream. I heard that it was off for all the traffic lights on Route 9, too. It got very dark and hot in the buildings (I can't believe the fairgrounds doesn't have generators), so I came home.

Talking to the guys clearing my woods and the next-door neighbor this morning. She wandered over to find out what was going on - she was afraid we were planning to build a house between mine and hers. Neighbor says that our phones weren't working for two days, Friday and Saturday. That made me feel a tiny bit better, because that's one of the depressing things - being out all afternoon and coming home to a big fat 0 on the message machine. Then I realized that I was dialed in to the internet the whole time, even while I was out (a separate line from the house phone), and it never dropped, so I don't know what she's talking about.

I've been going through closets trying on clothes, which is kind of fun. I'm sorting into: stuff to give away, stuff to sell, stuff to alter, stuff that fits now but will be stored for the summer, stuff that fits and I can wear now, and stuff that's still just a wee bit small but will fit soon. Oh, and stuff that's just plain ugly. There's very little that will be thrown out. It's all in pretty good condition. I guess that's an advantage to having lots of clothes. Nothing gets worn out.

I have to remember to save some yucky stuff for grunge work. Yucky stuff that still looks decent on....

No comments: