Tuesday, April 11, 2006

#639 On the Roof

I received the new estimate for the roof job in the mail today.

The first estimate, the one that floored me, was $16,500 all inclusive.

This one is $11,900 all inclusive. The guy left a sample of the shingles he would use, and they are comparable. In fact, possibly better, since these are 30-year, and in the first estimate I believe we were looking at 20-year. Everything else is the same - 40 squares (40 10x10 sections), ice and water shield on edges and valleys, 30-lb felt paper, new drip edge, new boots on exhaust pipes, antenna removed/replaced and flashed, cobra ridge vent, and all debris disposal.

AND, the best part, the father of the roofer had given me a card worth 10% off a roofing job, so I can deduct $1,190, making the estimate $10,710. (I verified all this on the phone a few minutes ago.)

That's a BIG difference.

Actually, it's not an estimate. It's more like a bid. It says on the bottom that there can be no alterations or deviations involving extra costs without a written order. Cool.

If this were the first estimate I'd received, I'd still be stunned. But as the second, I'm relieved.

No comments: