Monday, April 10, 2006

#634 Monday

Monday, April 10, 2006

I went to a Mensa board meeting last night, where I was appointed a member of the newly formed dues hardship committee. They wanted life members on the committee, because we don't pay dues, and therefore would have less interest in the outcome. Then they gave us a budget equal to two memberships for the year. Two. We have 200+ members, most of whom are underemployed, and we have something like 9 colleges in our area. This could get nasty. I may have stepped in it. Gack.

---------------------------------------------

I have men on my roof right now, with a masonry saw (?) and what looks and sounds like a mini-jackhammer, removing the cement cap from the chimney, and building a wood frame for the replacement cement. They've been up there for almost two hours now, and the noise is making it hard to think. At least no one has fallen off or through the roof yet - my biggest fear. Tomorrow the mason comes to pour a new cement cap. Wednesday, rain is predicted. Is this a problem?

There's also a young man with a ... um ... it's like a frontloader on one end and a mini-steamshovel on the other end ... spreading topsoil in the hollow in the front yard where we burned all the brush earlier this year. The Hairless Hunk is directing operations. I haven't had the heart yet to tell him I'm getting more estimates on replacing the shingles. But I have to.

---------------------------------------------

There was a news story this morning about how libraries are getting tougher about overdue books and unpaid fines. Reminded me of a story.

My purse was stolen about 25 years ago. I immediately called the bank, and the credit card companies, and so on, and I also called the library to report my library card was stolen.

The woman I talked to was confused, "Why are you reporting a stolen library card?"

I told her, "Well, if I were a bad person and stole a library card, I'd immediately go to every library in the city, and take out a gazillion books, and keep them!"

When she stopped laughing, she pointed out that purse snatchers are not likely to be readers.

Me: "Oh."

No comments: