Friday, February 24, 2006

#584 Trivia Evening

Friday, February 24, 2006

I went to Poughkeepsie last night to play trivia (NTN) again. Again, it was just Tom and me from Mensa, plus Tom's girlfriend (who didn't play). This is the place that had the delicious pulled pork quesedias, but this time I got the wings - also very good, very large, the one-bone pieces were almost as big as fryer drumsticks!, and only $1.44 per dozen. At that price, they don't let you take any out, you have to eat them all there, and although we ordered only one dozen, there were 18 on the plate, so every time the bartender turned his back I stuck one in my purse. I brought home enough for dinner tonight.

Tom and his friend left before I had finished my nursed-so-long-I had-to-add-ice glass of Chablis, and just as I was about to leave, someone in the group of two couples next to me at the bar mentioned Shamokin, Pa., and I ended up staying another half hour wrapped/rapt in conversation with them about Pennsylvania, and how it's such a great place to live, all the "still wild" places, even if the politics is a bit whacked. One of the guys was familiar with Ricketts Glen, and agreed it was a magical place.

So I had a nice evening. I didn't do too well at the trivia, though. Came in something like 220th nationally, but that's partly because I missed the whole first game. Tom had said he wouldn't be there until 8, so I got there at 8, and it turned out Tom had been there since about 7 and played the first game. Fooey. I like the place and I like the kind of people there, so I won't be uncomfortable alone, so next time I'm coming early regardless.

Up and dressed early this morning to meet The Hunk and burn brush, but it's too windy today, so we're putting it off again, probably until early next week, since it's supposed to rain or snow this weekend. Personally, I think a foot of snow on the ground would be perfect for burning. We wouldn't have to worry about a grass fire, and we wouldn't need the hose - a snowshovel would do for an extinguisher.

Off to get some things done. I'll do some questions later.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ummmm ... It's quesadillas, not quesedias.

note: learn to spell before doing publishing of any type. As a former programmer, you should know about syntax....

~~Silk said...

Oooo, nasty. I know it's quesadillas, you know it's quesadillas, but on the menu, it was quesedias, so THAT IS in fact what I had, which spelling is, I believe, a valid older variation (back before folks started thinking Tex-Mex was real Mexican food). And since you don't know what was actually on the plate, how can you say what it was?

Also - "syntax" does not include spelling.

Pardon my tone. I actually appreciate your comment as potentially helpful, but I am reacting negatively to the tone in your "note". You slapped. I slapped back. We're even.

~~Silk