Tuesday, February 21, 2006

#579 Johari Window - Results

It's been a week since I made my initial request for contributions to my Johari Window, so I think I've probably got just about all the responses I'm going to get. To see the complete results, go to http://kevan.org/johari?view=Silken (note that it has moved from its original name). For information on the concept, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johari_window.

Later edit - the Kevan.org site is having some problems. It gets overrun late at night, and as of 3 pm today, Tuesday, February 21, both of my ISPs are having difficulty even finding it. If you can't get to it, wait. It will, I hope, settle down.

I listed my salient characteristics as
  • able
  • independent
  • intelligent
  • happy
  • relaxed

Breakdown of respondents:
  • 6 are from people who know me in person now;
  • 4 are from people who knew me well in the past, and are now in touch by email and telephone;
  • 4 are from people who know me only through my journal and email.

The 14 responses say I present myself as
  • 10 - intelligent
  • 7 - independent
  • 3 - brave
  • 3 - clever
  • 3 - energetic
  • 3 - knowledgeable
  • 3 - loving
  • 3 - reflective
  • 3 - responsive
  • 3 - sentimental
  • 3 - sympathetic
  • 2 - able
  • 2 - bold
  • 2 - caring
  • 2 - confident
  • 2 - dignified
  • 2 - extroverted
  • 2 - giving
  • 2 - observant
  • 2 - searching
  • 2 - wise
  • 2 - witty
  • and a smattering of other words with 1 each.

Note that no one, besides me, chose "happy" and "relaxed". I think I am, but I guess those are an internal thing, and I don't show it so much on the outside. It's also interesting that once y'all got past "independent", no more than three people of the fourteen could agree on anything else, and how they know me didn't seem to show any pattern. I can't be everything to everyone (not since psychotherapy, anyway), so my conclusion is that my personality is a bit blah. I don't come through very well. Maybe I ought to pick a few I like, that I think are there but hidden, like "loving", "caring", "giving", and work on showing them more. I should expose me better.

Now the hard part.

You noticed that the Johari Window offered mostly positive descriptors. What about the negatives?

Introducing (Ta-ra!) my Nohari Window! Those who responded to the Johari request are now honor-bound to go to http://kevan.org/nohari?name=Silken, and select negative adjectives to describe me. I realize that this will of course be very difficult for you, seeing as I am so perfect and all, so I won't be at all hurt if you take greater care to disguise your id this time. And I know it will be especially difficult to choose more than one, but do try to chose five or six. I found six with no difficulty, and could easily have selected nine more, but then, I know my evil thoughts.

Have fun....

(And no fair doing the Nohari without having done the Johari, too! Go back to it if you have to!)

No comments: