Friday, February 03, 2012

3455 Mental Gymnastics

Friday, February 3, 2012

Vegetarian: an old Native American word meaning "lousy hunter".

--------------------------------------


I have a small patch of hair on the left side of my head, maybe like an eighth of an inch in diameter at the roots, that wants to stick out. The hair around it curves down, but this tendril wants to curve up. Every morning I have to wet that little patch and curve it over my fingers to get it to blend in.

But wind, dampness, whatever can make it stand up again.

This morning I stood there at the sink with the patch curling up, sticking up like a tiny antelope horn, feeling a bit of frustration, and I got the scissors out to cut it off. Just cut the part that curves up. It'll be shorter than the hair around it, might look like a bit strange...

...then I suddenly decided to leave it, let it do what it wants. I'll just call it cute. It's CUTE! Got it?

This afternoon I walked past a mirror, saw the lock sticking out, smiled, and thought without thinking, "Aw, that's cute."

I wish I could do that with other parts of my life.
.

1 comment:

Becs said...

I have a patch of hair just a little on the other side of the crown of my head. When I wake up in the morning, I call it cockatiel hair.