Sunday, January 29, 2012

3450 Jasper is snoring, so no title.

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle, and the life of the candle
will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.
-- The Buddha --

---------------------------------------------------------

Along about January 18th I got a bit concerned about Jasper. He ate some dry food, drank a little water, then promptly threw it all up. He did that once in the morning and once in the evening. Cats are famous for throwing up, but Jasper almost never throws up - probably because he almost never grooms himself, so he doesn't ingest fur. This was a new cat food, and maybe it didn't agree with him, or he didn't like it.

He seemed ok until the next evening, when I noticed he hadn't nibbled at his food since morning. The day after that I noticed that there was no new poopy in the litter box. By then it was Friday evening. He didn't seem to be uncomfortable, and his belly felt like the usual birthday balloon. If he wasn't eating, no poop wouldn't be odd. He was still drinking water and piddling.

Was he blocked? Or just registering a stubborn rejection of the new (good for kidneys, which automatically means cats will hate it) food?

Saturday, Sunday, no eating, no pooping. I decided to call the traveling "vet in a van" on Monday.

Monday morning there was poop in the litter. Why do pets and kids always get sickest just before the weekend, when you go nuts wondering what you should do, then they're all better on Monday? (Ok, not just pets and kids. If I'm going to have any kind of emergency attack, it'll happen on a weekend. Always.)

-------------------------------

I've given up on "lose" and "loose". Even professional writers don't seem capable of figuring it out any more. Now there's a new one. Five times in the past three days, in five different places, I've seen "mirrow" when the writer meant "mirror".

I am depressed.

--------------------------------

I read a natural science article on ravens and crows. I used to enjoy watching the crows from my back deck at the old house. They're playful acrobats, and smart. There were ravens on one of the trails I used to walk. They're sober, and even smarter.

I've seen the ravens at the Tower of London. Their wings are clipped, so they can't fly far, to keep them from leaving because of some old prophesy that when the ravens leave the tower, the monarchy will fall. "If the Tower of London ravens are lost or fly away, the Crown will fall and Britain with it."

Funny how nobody ever questions that prophesy. How would the ravens leaving affect the monarchy?

Leave your theories in the comments. I'll tell why tomorrow.
.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I watched a video lecture on crows. Apparently they are so good at face recognition on humans that now some researchers wear masks and sometimes wigs when they do catch and release on crows for study as the crows remember the researcher's faces forever and will harass them for ages after. They are damn smart birds. I love them. When I was a little girl I was semi-terrorized by a neighbor's pet crow. His name was Sunday and he had a habit of landing on my (and anyone else around) head. Liked having the bird around except that part. I can recall giving him shiny objects which he flew away with to God only knows where. Z

~~Silk said...

Yeah, the masks! The researchers at some college wore Dick Cheney masks to tag the birds -- cracked me up. They discovered that after a while, even birds who had not been tagged would harass anyone they saw wearing the masks. The birds were spreading the word! The birds did not react to non-Cheney masks.

Then they had people walk around campus with the masks on upside-down. Some birds didn't react, but other birds turned upside-down in flight to look at the masks, and then harassed the wearers.

Becs said...

I'm glad Jasper is feeling better.