Wednesday, August 11, 2010

3053 Russia is burning, Pakistan is flooding

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

"Oh, my dear little librarian, you pile up enough tomorrows,
and you'll find you are left with nothing but a lot of empty yesterdays.
I don't know about you, but I'd like to make today worth remembering."
-- Professor Hill, "The Music Man" --

------------------------------------------------------------

Today is my mother's birthday. She would have been 86. She was one year older than I am now when she died of congestive heart failure. She seemed so old then. I feel so young now.

---------------------------------

As the title says, Russia is suffering more than 900 scattered forest fires across over 300,000 acres that have burned entire villages, and Pakistan is is suffering flooding that has already affected 14 million people, killing more than 1,600.

This week's photo essays from Boston.com (which include the links to last week's stories on the fires and floods):
http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/08/continuing_russian_wildfires.html
http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/08/continuing_pakistani_floods.html
.

No comments: