Tuesday, October 27, 2009

2638 Crickets, truckers, and mixed feelings

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Archilochus: The fox knows many things,
but the hedgehog knows one big thing.

----------------------

Movie tonight was "Trucker", at Proctor's Theater in Schenectady. It was pretty good for a movie with very little advertising - much better than the synopsis would lead one to believe.

When I got home, I found Jasper chasing a cricket in the kitchen. He caught it and ate it, and then seemed to blame me for the disappearance of his toy.

Today is my 65th birthday.  Sunday, when I visited Daughter and Hercules, they gave me some birthday presents (no card).  Last night I sent an email to The Man about a radio show, and he replied to the email a few minutes after midnight and wished me a happy birthday.  And .... that's it.  I have received no cards, emails, ecards, or calls since I woke up this morning.  I expected something from Roman, at least, and birthdays are published in the monthly Mensa newsletter.  (Little Sister, if you're reading this, don't feel guilty.  You've got a lot going on right now, and you're not one I would have expected any notice from.  In fact, I'm not sure of your birthday, somewhere near the end of July, right?  And the only reason I remember that is because of that time Mom acquired some ruby jewelry, and she gave it to you, because "rubies are her birthstone."  I was jealous because she never gave me any opals.)  

I'm sad because all the people I have carefully taught over the years to make no fuss over my birthday, have made no fuss over my birthday.  And if anyone does now, too late, I'll be annoyed.

But ... one card in today's mail would have been nice.
.

1 comment:

rockygrace said...

Happy (belated) birthday!