Monday, September 28, 2009

2602 Rainy Sunday with garlic

Monday, September 28, 2009

We see the world not as it is, but as we are.

---------------------------

The above is so true.  We interpret the world not as it is, but as we expect it to be, which can reveal a lot about a person.  I often wonder if I can trust a person who is suspicious of the motives of others.  But I am very trusting, so knowing intellectually that perhaps I shouldn't trust someone does not result in my not trusting him.  Quite often the opposite, in fact.

-------------------------

I put in my volunteer hour at the Garlic Festival on Sunday.  I had been given a worker parking pass, which got me into the lot directly across from the grounds.  I think next time I'll know better than to use it.  If I'd parked in one of the far lots, I'd have walked only a short way, then taken a shuttle bus to the gates.  But in the "close" lot, I had to walk almost a half mile to the gate, which I wouldn't normally mind, except that it was raining.

There was a steady fine but heavy drizzle all day.  I heard the festival was very crowded on sunny Saturday.  This is the crowd on rainy Sunday:



I wondered why there were straw bales lined up in the middle of the promenade, and then realized that if they were not soaked, they'd have made great seats.

Most of the hundred or more tent booths were food or food related, and someone said all the food was required to use garlic in some way.  I actually saw garlic ice cream, chocolate covered garlic, and jars of garlic honey.  One aisle was all garlic farmers, selling fresh garlic, garlic plant sets, garlic decorated do-dads, and so on.  That aisle was pretty much deserted.  I guess it's all about food, eh?

There were some craft booths, too, and again the garlic theme was required.  Which meant that folks selling jewelry had a few sets of garlic bulb-shaped earrings among their usual wares.  (I suspect they bring back the exact same garlic items year after year.  Admission ticket.)

I bought some inexpensive but nice jewelry (not garlic-related), and a packable sunhat.

No comments: