Sunday, September 20, 2009

2592 The weekend

Sunday, September 20, 2009

Les Kamm, letter in the Mensa Bulletin: “Progress ... is not the result of individual accomplishments, but the product of a vast human consciousness that contains ... a perception of purpose, potential, and need. ...[The] contributions of any single person is not substance, but style.”

-----------------------------

The Albany restaurant for Friday night's dinner is associated with the place in Saugerties (Ric Orlando), but the food was much better. I started with calamari, and they were perfect. My entree was a daily special - pork loin on a bed of spinach and sweet potatoes. There were two pieces of meat, both as large as my hand and 1.5 inches thick. Ridiculous! Two more days of doggie bag. It was all very good.

The problem I have with the Saugerties New Home restaurant is that everything tastes the same. There's some herb or spice they put in everything, from pizza to green beans to onion soup. Yuck.

I thought it was rather expensive, though. My tab came to $45 before tax and tip. They could have given me half the food for 3/5 the price and I would have been happier.

Yesterday I went to Angie's house. She had a bunch of people over for a lobster feast. Her sister-in-law is from the Philippines, so there was a lot of Filipino yummies, too. I fell in love with something called Siopao (show-POW) - balls of soft sweet dough stuffed with shredded seasoned pork, steamed to plumpness.

After the feast, Angie and Nat wanted me to try the trampoline. Are you kidding? I've never been on a trampoline, so I'd have loved to try it, but not after overeating!

After Angie's I went to see "The Informant" in Albany. I'd read the WSJ law blog article on the story, and followed the links, and had heard the NPR interviews with the ADM exec and the FBI agents, so I was able to read into and fill in the blanks in the movie. So I thought it was pretty good. I don't know how satisfying it would be if one did not already know the details that aren't shown in the movie.

Movies seem short these days. Like there's so much of the story that has to be left out to keep the bread-and-circus crowd interested. God forbid they should run out of food before the movie is over.

This morning I took some old electronic devices to recycle - some old phones, dead printers, and so on. There was an 18-year-old under-desk IBM PC CPU, which I thought was heavy until I tried to lift the old VCR. It must have been the first model. Huge, deep, heavy! Had to be well over 50 pounds. It was on the top shelf in the den closet, and I managed to get it down, wrestled it to the door, opened and closed the front door with it supported on my thighs, started across the porch, and was pulled up short. The cord had been trailing behind me and the plug got stuck under the closed door.

Until then I'd been doing fine, but now I had to set it down to free the cord. Picking it up from the floor again was A Bad Thing.

I had planned to go to the gem and mineral show at the fairgrounds today, which was right next to where the county was collecting the old devices, but I got so sweaty and dusty clearing out the den, and I was getting warning shocks down my left leg from my overtaxed back, that I decided it would be better to go back home and soak in a hot bath.

I think I'll live.
.

No comments: