Sunday, July 19, 2009

2510 Meeting Costs; ICC

Sunday, July 19, 2009

I was depressed last night so I called Lifeline.
Got a call center in Pakistan, and told them I was suicidal.
They got all excited and asked if I could fly a plane.

--------------------------

I wish I had the following link back in the '90s, when politically ambitious people at work called required meetings for the sole purpose of advertising their own wonderful projects. It's a constantly updated counter, displaying how much this meeting has cost the company so far.


--------------------------

PBS is right now airing a program on the International Criminal Court (ICC), on P.O.V., "The Reckoning: The Battle for the International Criminal Court.

It's available for viewing at http://www.pbs.org/pov/reckoning/. I highly recommend it. To quote the website,

Over 120 countries have united to form the International Criminal Court (ICC) — the first permanent court created to prosecute perpetrators, no matter how powerful, of crimes against humanity, war crimes and genocide. The Reckoning follows dynamic ICC Prosecutor Luis Moreno-Ocampo and his team for three years across four continents as he issues arrest warrants for Lord's Resistance Army leaders in Uganda, puts Congolese warlords on trial, shakes up the Colombian justice system, and charges Sudan's President Omar al-Bashir with genocide in Darfur. Like a deft thriller, The Reckoning keeps you on the edge of your seat. Will the prosecutor succeed? Will the world ensure that justice prevails? An Official Selection of the 2009 Sundance Film Festival.

Read the full film description »


A small mention was made of the fact that the Bush-2 administration tried to kill it. Gee, I wonder why? I can understand not joining (in Wikipedia terms, "being a party"), but why threaten sanctions on any other country that signs on?

I don't really wonder why. I know why.
.

1 comment:

Becs said...

Re, the ticker, I wish we had one of these when we were doing CMM Level 2 at Evil Empire. Besides the "real" costs, it had to have been $8.5 M in meeting times. Gah.