Thursday, June 18, 2009

2445 Woots, and an African storm

Thursday, June 18, 2009

"A hero is no braver than an ordinary man, but he is brave five minutes longer."

---------------

I've been Wooting! (Ha! Look at me! I made a verb!) If you don't already know what Woot.com is, check it out. They offer one deal a day, and when it sells out, it's gone.

Last week or so I bought a thingy that you can plug into an analog video output device, like a video cassette recorder/player or old video camera, and it converts the output to digital and will put it on an iPod, or thumb stick or whatever. I have a load of old VCR tapes. Woot! I haven't got around to trying it yet, but eventually I will.

Today my most recent purchase arrived. It's an actual turntable for vinyl records that produces digital output and plugs into the laptop USB. I had tried a long time ago to convert vinyl to CD, using the old stereo in the living room, but the input to the computer was analog and I had to use a program that translated, and it didn't do a good job. Plus there were pops that even Jay couldn't get rid of. I hope this works better.

----------------------

The following is Kim Komando's selection for Video of the Day. It's Perpetuum Jazzile, an a cappella jazz choir from Slovenia, singing "Africa", but they go a step further. They create a thunderstorm with their hands. Pretty cool.

[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjbpwlqp5Qw]

Same group, doing a Bee Gees Medley:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vquusVqcUdw
.

No comments: