Thursday, April 16, 2009

2364 Pap, tea bags, and a mob.

Thursday, April 16, 2009

Doctor's appointment today. General checkup, PAP test, got a slip for a bone density scan at the hospital, and an appointment for fasting blood workup. Now I just need to find a dentist and a dermatologist.

Dr. D. says what's on my elbows is not psoriasis. She says it just looks like I lean on my elbows a lot, which cuts the blood supply (I know that's bad, and I DO try to distribute the pressure around) and makes the skin super dry and horny. I told her that I've tried literally everything, from lanolin and olive oil to expensive moisturizers, and the only thing that works is 1% cortisol cream, which I use only when it gets really bad because I'm reluctant to use it constantly. She says it's ok to use it constantly. So. Maybe my elbows will be pink this summer instead of their usual gray.

------------------------

I was aware of the tea-bag protests yesterday, but only peripherally aware. I haven't the faintest idea what they were protesting, or why. Somehow they connected it to the Boston Tea Party, but the situation is vastly different, so I don't see how.

I suspect the Boston connection was just to appeal to the fools who thought it conveyed a veneer of patriotism. I suspect some part of the impetus was a lesson learned during the past election - that you can appeal to the stupidity and ignorance of hordes of people and bend them to your own purpose. I suspect a lot of it was not about taxes. It was personal pettiness, if you know where I'm going. After all, taxes are lower this year than last year, and yeah, we're all angry about bailouts, but what other options were offered, and besides, the enormous deficit was built, and the financial collapse was apparent but not headed off, over the past 8 years, and where were you all then?

It looks awfully personal.

Anyway, here's a few (safe) links that say it better than I ever could:

http://overflowingbrain.blogspot.com/2009/04/tax-day-stupidity-thoughts.html

http://airamerica.com/maddow/blog/2009/apr/13/rachel-maddow-explains-tea-bagging-movement

http://wwwjackbenimble.blogspot.com/2009/04/taxday-tea-party-protest.html

And this one tries to convince us that it's not related to a particular political party. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123975867505519363.html

-----------------------

A video for your enjoyment. I really love these things! I wish I could participate, or be there when one happens.


[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UE3CNu_rtY]
.

1 comment:

Chriz said...

I love Belgium!