Wednesday, April 15, 2009

2363 Daffodils!

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

My daffodils all bloomed at once again. I won't be able to take pictures tomorrow, and they might be past the peak by the time I can, so I took some pictures this evening, at about 6:30 pm. The sun was very low, and the flowers are in shadow or backlit, so it's not great, but here they are.

This is the large clump at the end of the driveway:






The following is a smaller clump a little further up the drive, on the other side:

These are around the side of the garage:


There are several other clumps that either don't get as much early sun, or compensating warmth from the foundation, so they haven't bloomed yet.

This is the additional yard I found today - from the grass on the right to just this side of the brush on the left. They cleared it today, and will seed it tomorrow. That's the young helper crouched behind the tree, pulling up a rock.
Bonus photo - wild turkeys! I found this on the camera, left over from last February. The gray in front is the driveway, close to the house. They scratched the snow away, and have dug into the lawn. I think they're eating wild cherries.

.

2 comments:

Donna in Alabama said...

Those are beautiful Silk! I love daffodils. They seem to be volunteer here. I have tried transplanting them but they do not bloom anymore! I'm not doing something right.

~~Silk said...

Those daffodils were planted by my late husband when he and his Ex first moved into this house, so they've been in place about 26 years.

I don't fertilize or anything. The only thing I do for them is make sure they don't get mowed or cut until ALL their leaves are definitely finished soaking up sun - about mid-summer.

Sometimes it takes a few years for the plants to get "comfortable" before they bloom. (I believe that from seed, it takes daffodils seven years to bloom.)