Thursday, January 29, 2009

2244 Ice

Thursday, January 29, 2009

I found 2 solid inches of ice on the driveway this morning. The lower part that gets the sun was almost all melted, but the upper sections were a perfect skating rink. No winter sun ever gets there. I walked down to check how bad it was, and even walking on the roughest parts I almost slid down several times.

I'd left the Aerio at the top of the drive, and decided to chance it. I figured if she started to slide, she'd go into the snowbanks on the side, and I'd figure out then what to do about that.

I'm so proud of her. She didn't slip once. The brakes didn't much work, but the steering did, and she rolled smoothly.

I went to the pet supply store to get the pill-pocket treats for Jasper. The lady behind the counter raved about them. I bought about three times as much as I figured I'd need, planning to give some pill-less to Jasper as treats, so he'd be more likely to take them with a pill. I got both chicken and fish, hoping he'd like at least one of the flavors.

Uh uh. He's not interested in either. He sniffed them and looked at me like he wasn't sure what he was supposed to do with them. Mother is not happy.

On the way back from the pet store I stopped at two places where I used to get someone to spread gravel or sand on the driveway. It's been several years since I've needed that, and neither place does it any more. So then I went to the bank to get some cash, and as I pulled into the parking lot there was a guy climbing into a truck with a plow on the front and a sand spreader on the back. So I rolled the window down and asked.

He followed me home, and I now have a mix of sand and salt on the ice. I'm not too happy about the salt, but beggars ... etc. That was definitely a bit of luck.
.

No comments: