Sunday, October 05, 2008

2054 Still grumbling about feeds

Sunday, October 5, 2008

Last night I went through all the old posts I had transferred over from AOL (June 2004 into November 2004) and removed all the AOL-supplied HTML. Doesn't seem to have fixed it. I don't know what's wrong.

AOL had announced early last week that they were killing all the journals as of the end of October, and that they would provide "a method" to transfer all old journal entries to other platforms. No indication what platforms.

I've been using AOL long enough to know not to wait. Whatever they provide will be complicated, inadequate, and full of bugs, and they'll announce it so late that they won't be able to handle the traffic of everybody trying to move their journals at once. I don't know where they get their programmers. The only thing that has ever worked right in AOL is the mail, and I'm waiting for that shoe to drop.

Most of the other AOL journalers agree with me, that we can't trust AOL, and they are copying, stripping, redating, and reposting just like I am.

Well, time to get me out the door.
.

2 comments:

Ally said...

i don't know if you want to go through - but go through google docs and it has a function to strip the formatting and then it has another function to email as a post to your blog.

good luck on the transferring.

Chris said...

Jland has been dead for years anyway, right?

"Whatever they provide will be complicated, inadequate, and full of bugs, and they'll announce it so late that they won't be able to handle the traffic of everybody trying to move their journals at once. "

My sentiments exactly!