Thursday, August 07, 2008

1943 Thud and Cringe

Thursday, August 7, 2008

I hope the blogger I'm about to talk about doesn't read this post, and if there's anyone who reads both blogs (and I know there's at least one), I hope you won't alert her. Ok? I don't intend to be mean, and I'm not making fun of her. It's how she's been taught to relate.

I just can't let it go without reacting.

She wrote an entry about exploring an idea, a proposition, a possible approach, with a group of people, I assume in a meeting, like at at conference table. And she ended her proposal with "Does that make sense?"

Aaaaaagh!

This old feminist promptly went into brain-freeze, lost all muscle tone, and slumped in her chair.

Ok everyone, and especially the young women out there, no one, and especially not a woman, especially if the attendees are mostly men, should ever end a proposal with "Does that make sense?" It's asking for validation. All it needed was a wagging tail.

Better to ask if there are any questions, any comments, any additional points to be considered, any suggestions, any objections, anything that needs clarification, whatever.

You MUST ASSUME you make sense. Otherwise you should have kept quiet. And took notes and baked the cookies and got the coffee.

My stomach hurts.
.

1 comment:

Becs said...

Um, I think I know who you might mean and I think she may have ducked out of sight. But you're still absolutely, 100% dead-on right.