Thursday, August 07, 2008

1941 Internet Has the Flu

Thursday, August 7, 2008

My internet connection was very slow today (yesterday, Wednesday, whatever! Don't confuse me!). Links kept timing out, videos kept going into "connecting...", and my broadband whatsis kept dropping, like every 45 minutes. I was trying to pay my phone bill online tonight, and the line kept dropping, forcing me to start over about six times. I've been very frustrated.

Apparently it's not just me. A few other bloggers have mentioned it. This link was posted on the local Mensa board today, and it may explain what's happening:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/biztech/08/06/internet.security.ap/index.html

Read it. It's scary. If you've been seeing popup ads when you know you absolutely did not click on the ad, and besides, you are blocking popups anyway, well, you've seen it. The slowdown today may be due to cleanup efforts.

At least I hope that's what it is.

Oh, and if you use Sitemeter, check this out: http://mashable.com/2008/08/02/sitemeter-down/?referer=sphere_related_content
.

No comments: