Sunday, July 20, 2008

1917 I Don't Understand Hotels

Sunday, July 20, 2008

When you check into a hotel, they have your name, address, and phone number. The Man is a double elite guest with a particular chain. So not only do they know who he is before he arrives, they know how many of what type of pillows and towels he prefers, that he will require a refrigerator, and what beverage and snack to place in the room.

So, what I don't understand is how come, when something is accidentally left at checkout, how come it goes directly to the lost and found box? Worse, if it isn't claimed within hours, by the time the cleaning crew finishes that day, they are allowed to take it if they want it. Abandoned property and all that.

They KNOW who was in the room. They know how to contact us. So why don't they call and ask?

I am famous for leaving things. I don't dare leave my robe on the bathroom door hook, or I'll never see it again.

I left a robe several months ago, and realized it on the road home. I called The Man, he called the hotel, they said it was in the L&F, and I turned around and headed back. There was quite a search before it turned up.

A few weeks ago I left a robe in Corning on my trip to the father-in-law's memorial service and Jay's falls. It's gone. Forever. They had my address.

We stayed in a hotel in NJ near where The Man wanted to bowl on Thursday night. On Friday morning, I didn't put makeup on. Last night, getting ready for NJ's party, the first time I wanted to do my makeup since Thursday, I discovered I'd left my makeup case at the hotel. My favorite base. My favorite eyebrow pencil and eyeliner. (With my coloring, it's hard to find the right shade.) The only brown (NOT black or brown-black!) mascara I've been able to find. The perfect spot coverup. My favorite tweezers. My brand-new beige lipstick.

I'm devastated.

It's The Man's fault! The makeup case was next to the coffee maker, in an out-of-the-way corner of the living room, where the most convenient mirror with the best light was, and ... he didn't want coffee that morning. Stupid male. All his fault.

Why don't the hotels call and ask? Especially a double platinum guest? Who always leaves a generous tip on the dresser for the housekeepers?

Do they really think we simply abandon things of value?
.

1 comment:

Becs said...

I'm sorry that The Perfect Makeup bag was confiscated.

But Clinique makes a good brown mascara, if that's of any comfort.