Wednesday, July 16, 2008

1911 Heels and Nails

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Walked with Piper again today. He's really enjoying it, the commitment thing. It's even got him back on his machines at home. Friday is our next day to walk, and it's supposed to be well over 90 with high humidity. I said I wasn't sure I wanted to walk in that, but he wants to, even if it's a shorter walk, so, against my better judgment, I got guilted into agreeing. [That sentence got edited. It originally said I got quilted into it. I looked at it a long time, aware there was something wrong with it, but I couldn't figure out what. It almost made sense; "guilted" isn't a word, and "quilted" is, and that's part of the problem.]

So anyway, just in case, being of mostly sound mind, I leave all my worldly goods to my daughter.

-----------------------------------

Back when I went to work every day, I wore high heels and nail polish. When I retired, I swore no more heels over 1.5", and no more nail polish. The heels prohibition lasted 11 years, and I haven't worn nail polish in 14 years.

When you wear nail polish every day, your nails turn yellow, so you are almost forced to polish them, even though it gets to be a royal pain. In the winter my nails are brittle, and stay shortish, and the polish lasts five or six days before it gets too chipped. In the summer, my nails are more flexible, easily get to one inch long, and by the third day, polish is all chipped and flaking off. Which wouldn't be too bad except that for some reason polish takes forever to dry on my nails. I can't do anything else for like three hours when I polish them. I've tried the drying sprays and olive oil, but they seem to make the polish too hard on the flexing nails, so it chips even sooner.

Well, about two years ago I start easing into higher heels again.

Today, I don't know why, I bought nail polish and did my nails.

I think I'm slowly losing my mind.
.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

a quick tip for painting your nails... mine used to do that too, but ive found that if i put a GOOD topcoat on first- sally hansen works well- they dont yellow!

~~Silk said...

I always thought it was that ny nails were absorbing the color, so I always used Sally Hansen "Hard as Nails" clearcoat both under and over. But a dermatologist told me that the yellow was the natural color of my nails, and the polish didn't allow them to be exposed to sun, air, oxygen, water/soap, etc., which would have bleached them. I sort of do and don't believe that - but, maybe. I know my hair is considered "white" now, but it's actually pale yellow.