Wednesday, February 13, 2008

1691 Socks

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

I spent most of last evening and much of this morning doing laundry. It's a chore because the super-hard well water has glumked up the valves, and I can't let the washer fill itself because the valves won't shut off completely and water will fill the washer, the laundry room, and half the kitchen before the cats let me know there's something wrong. So I have to fill by hand with a hose from the utility sink.

I put laundry off as long as possible, so when I do it, it's a lot. In the past 24 hours, I've washed
- 3 loads of white
- 2 loads of dark
- 1 load of red
- 1 load of pastel
- 1 load of fragile
- 1 load of colored
- 2 loads of sheets
- 2 loads of towels

That adds up to 13. Maybe that's what jinxed the socks.

There are two net bags hanging on the laundry bin. When I take socks off, I put them directly into a bag. They don't lie around. They're either on my feet or in the bag, as a pair. When it's laundry time, I tie the bags closed. The bags go into the washer and the dryer tied. They do not come untied. When they're dry, I dump the bags out on the bed and sort the socks into pairs, carefully guarding them from Jasper.

So howcum I ALWAYS have at least three stray socks? Two I could almost understand - maybe the last time I sorted and paired them I mixed up two sets and there's another mismatched pair in the drawer. But three?

Whenever I see one of those escape artists get out of a locked bag underwater, I think of socks.

I don't understand.
.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

socks are magical beings-- they can dissappear off your feet if you dont keep a firm grip on them with your toes, and BTW i showed my classes the snake lady from your last post- i looked her up on youtube, i didnt show them your blog- and they were throughly freaked out. it was awesome, its hard to freak them out and i try hard frequently.

~~Silk said...

Glad you enjoyed her. But I hope none of your students try to emulate her - you may never get the kid untangled!