Friday, November 16, 2007

1557 Honesty

Friday, November 16, 2007

I like to think I'm honest. I do try, honest....

I just did something that bothers me, a little bit.

There's a particular store where I buy almost all of my clothing. Their cut and sizing just happens to fit me well. I've bought enough from them that they now consider me a special customer, and I get advance opportunities on sales, $-off coupons in the mail, and a "personal shopper" (whatever that is) in the brick & mortar store. They also have an online store with an outlet section with some great deals.

I've dropped another size since last winter, so this morning I filled in my winter wardrobe.

They've got a deal going now where if your order is over $100, you get $30 off the order. Not 30 percent - a flat $30.

I went through the online catalog, and ordered a bunch of stuff, mostly from the outlet, so it was already a good 50% or more off (which, actually, is about what the stuff should cost in the first place, but that's another issue). Anyway, when I had my entire order together, I noticed that the total came to a little over $400.

I thought about that. I was going to get a flat $30 off.

I printed out the "shopping cart" page, divided it up into four separate orders, started over and placed the first $100 order, got $30 off, then started over again, placed the second $100 order, got another $30 off ... and so on.

So instead of saving $30, I saved $120.

Somehow, that feels dishonest. Very satisfying, but dishonest.
.

2 comments:

Becs said...

I don't think it's dishonest. What if you'd seen each of these $100 orders on four separate trips to the store?

Tell that Jiminy Cricket living in your head to get out of town.

Chris said...

LOL at becs.

You weren't being dishonest...you just maximized your benefit by following the letter of their rules.