Tuesday, May 01, 2007

1227 WiFi Witchery

Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Somehow I ended up still potting around the house at 5 am "last night". No problem. An advantage of retirement is that you can sleep in any time you want.

...Unless RSVP (Retired and Seniors' Volunteer Program) has your phone number.

They called at 10 am, need people to work at a children's day at the library in June. I said ok.

Then, on my way back to bed, that overnighted check arrived.

By then I was wide awake. Sigh.

I met Roman for an early dinner before his class, at a restaurant across the street from Ulster CCC. He suggested that I bring my laptop, because the classrooms have WiFi, and we could transfer the photos quickly (we both have dialup at home). I told him my WiFi hasn't worked for the past few weeks, but he said bring it anyway, maybe he could figure it out.

After dinner we went to his classroom, and the danged thing connected right up. No problem. It didn't work in the village up the road that has village-wide free WiFI, it didn't work in Piper's office, and it didn't work in Office Max, but it worked tonight at UCCC, when there was someone available to help me?

I don't understand.

When his class started I moved to the lounge and watched all the online videos I can't watch at home and downloaded some heavy-duty stuff. He visited during the mid-evening class break to make sure everything was still working, and then I left.

Ok, now I have to test this. On the way home, I went to that village with the free WiFi. Hardware found the signal, but "cannot establish a connection to the internet". Same problem as before.

Sigh.

I'll take it with me to NJ this weekend. If it doesn't work in the hotel, I'll scream.
.

No comments: