Tuesday, May 01, 2007

1226 Wean the Brat!

Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Montel is on (I like him - he's a nice guy - not bad to look at, either) and the topic is different theories of child raising.

There's a woman on who is a breast feeding bigot. "We're mammals, like cows and cats, that's what we're designed to do" etc. Fine. I agree. However, she breastfeeds until the child decides to stop, like four years or more. That's where she and I part ways.

Even a cow or a cat is smart enough to wean the babies as soon as they can handle adult food. I remember Suzy and her kittens. The five kittens, almost as big as she was by then, would gang up on her, chase her down, and hold her down to nurse. So Suzy started jumping up on the kitchen counter where the kittens couldn't get to her. I felt sorry for her, and let her stay there.

Baby mammals will nurse forever if you let them. It's an adult responsibility to wean them to adult food when it's appropriate.

That woman isn't as smart as my cat.

(I nursed Daughter for 10 months. She fought weaning tooth and nail, but I did my duty and switched her to carrots.)
.

No comments: