Thursday, April 26, 2007

1219 Karaoke

Thursday, April 26, 2007

We went to a Karaoke bar last night. Would you believe it was my first time? He's good. He's very good. He has range, and he's a showman. I love his voice. His natural speaking voice is deep and soft, so when he handed me the book and told me to pick something for his last turn, I picked Barry White's Can't Get Enough of Your Love.

Let's just say the blood rushed south out of my head, and I almost fell off the stool.

He gave me my very own copy of "Barenaked Ladies Are Men". Incidentally, he said he'd never noticed how many of the BNL's songs are about breaking up until he played them for me.

I gave him a chunk of petrified wood from my collection to commemorate our visit Saturday to the minerals section of the Museum of Natural History. He laughed. He said he didn't need it, I had sent him home Saturday night with a chunk of petrified wood. (Oh dear - maybe I shouldn't have said that. Well, too late now....)

I'm burbling again.

Ok, I've spent at least 47 hours in his presence, 38 without a chaperone, and I'm impressed. I still don't see how this can possibly work as more than a passing interest, there's so much working against it (he goes to church! Ack!) and I need to protect myself against hurt and wasted time and all that, but damn! I'm having fun!

-------------------------------

One bad thing. He's a lot younger, and last night I accidentally, in a weak moment of warmth, called him "Baby Boy". That was my pet name for Jay. I suddenly felt very guilty.

I hope he didn't hear it, because I guarantee he won't like that appellation, especially knowing where it had been used before. I can't do that again! It'll be hard not to, especially when my mind isn't working at those moments, but I really can't do that again.

--------------------------------

Ok, this is funny. Some people will get it and some won't.

I stopped on the way home to see Daughter and Hercules. We were in the den, and Daughter said, as she left the room and started down the hall, "I think Mom was a bad girl last night." Hercules said, "Oh. You've been eating chocolate?" I, confused, and thinking of my weight loss program, said, "Uh, no...?"

And then I noticed his evil grin, and Daughter came tearing back down the hall shouting something like "No! No! I can't believe you said that! No!" and I got it. "No no no no no no no nonono!", covering my face.

More evil grins, from both of them.

Rotten kids.
.

2 comments:

the queen said...

I like to bite the big ears off the chocolate bunnies first.

Chris said...

Funny post. The only kareoke I have ever seen was on a cruise. My main memory of it was when they called 4 twenty-something girls up to sing a quartette. They were drunk as skunks? no....cooter brown? no....oh, I know, they were drunk as 4 twenty-something girls on a cruise! Anyway, as the crowd applauded as the four approached the stage, one of them held her hands up waving & playing to the crowd. Unfortunately, she wasn't paying attention to the stage and did a face plant in front of the whole audience of probably 400 people. It was hilarious.