Sunday, February 11, 2007

1115 A Watch - A Start

Sunday, February 11, 2007

Well, I've been all over the internet. I found several watches that would be perfect, except that when I get into the details, they're all men's watches. Which would be ok, I don't mind as long as they look nice, except that men's chronographs are like 1 3/8 inches wide, and I can't wear a watch that wide. From the crease of my elbow to the bump at the wrist is only 6 3/4 inches. I don't have a lot of arm to spare.

My criteria was really loose. I didn't sort on price at all. I figured I'd find "the" watch first, then decide if I wanted to pay that much.

I've ordered this one. It's not mixed metal, it's not dressy, and it's probably going to be too wide, but it's certainly ok for the price, and it'll work while I keep searching. It's got five alarms and an hourly time signal, so functionally, it'll do the job.

Maybe now I won't be so late all the time. I have a definite problem with time. I think it may be related to my left-right confusion. "They" say that being late when someone is waiting for you shows a lack of caring. It's not. I really do try. There's just something wrong in my head where time is concerned, and the more important something is, the more likely I am to be late or rushed.

I get so concerned when I have to be somewhere early in the morning that I don't fall asleep the night before until just before the alarm goes off, and then I don't hear it and sleep in. Which means that the next time, I'm even more afraid to fall asleep. (A man in the bed relaxes me. I figure he'll wake up if I don't.)

I also don't seem to have any innate sense of how much time has passed.

There was the problem last night, exacerbated by stupid traffic. Today I wanted to go to FirstWoman's anime showing. I needed to be in N3wburgh at 2, so I needed to leave the house a little before 1, so I needed to start getting washed and dressed by a little after 12 at the latest. I looked at the clock and it was 11:20, so I figured I could check my email and do some other stuff first. The next time I looked at the clock, it was 1:20. I was still in my pajamas. I got there an hour late. Unwashed.

Actually, glancing at the clock in between wouldn't have helped much, because there's something wrong in my thinking. If I had looked at my watch and it said 12:40 (and for all I know, I may have) I might not have panicked, because I'd think, "Oh, I have to leave at 12:55, plenty of time yet", without realizing that I had yet to bathe and dress. I do that all the time.

Alarms will help. If I've got something blaring at me, I'll at least think "Why is it doing that? Oh, yeah." Having multiple alarms on the watch will help. I can set one for each stage.

.

No comments: