Saturday, January 27, 2007

1089 May You Live in Interesting Times

Saturday, January 27, 2007 (just after midnight)

I'm really trying to stay off the computer on even-numbered days except for checking email and doing research. So I've been sitting here waiting for midnight so I can blog. I wonder if they have a patch for this....

I heard from Piper this morning. He's back from Las Vegas, and has good news about his mother. Tuesday's procedure showed no blockages, so they moved up the pacemaker surgery scheduled for next week and did that on Tuesday. She's home now and doing well.

After that phone call, Friday went to hell.

It's a good thing I cancelled the Florida trip. Otherwise I'd have been running out of the house at 10 am Friday with just enough time to get to the airport, and THEN I'd have found the flat tire. As it was, I discovered it at 5 pm, just late enough to make it too cold to attempt changing it myself, and too late to call a garage (I don't know who I'd have called, anyway).

I replaced all four tires on the minivan last January. Last April, I had an unrepairable puncture in one of the new ones, and had to buy a fifth new tire. Today is my third flat in a year. Something's wrong. Reminds me of the first six months Jay and I were married. I had something like five flats, Jay had three. I was convinced that his ex-wife was drive-by throwing screws at the end of the driveway.

So, I called the Hairless Hunk, and he's going to come by tomorrow (Saturday. Later today? It doesn't feel like tomorrow until I sleep) between noon and 1 pm, and help me with it. I'm going to try to get out there and see if I can do it myself before he arrives. I can change the tire if I can get it off. It's getting it off that's the hard part. If I can't get it repaired or replaced sometime tomorrow, I'm going to end up driving to Long Island on Sunday without a spare. What fun.

Then I did some laundry, and the shutoff valve on the washer is still iffy, and I wasn't paying attention, didn't get out there to turn off the water, and didn't notice that it was overflowing until the water rounded the corner from the laundry room and a soapy wave crossed the kitchen floor.

Sigh.

-------------------------------------------

Heard in passing on the TV: Little kid wants to be "a vegetarian" when she grows up. "A vegetarian?" "Yeah. Vegetarians take care of sick dogs."

-------------------------------------------

South Park is on right now. Locally, we have a Hyde Park, an East Park, a North Park, and a West Park. I wonder why there's no South Park?

.

1 comment:

Chris said...

When you do a lot of cycling, you seem to go through phases of flats. After going through a dry spell of no flats, you start to get nervous because you know that you are "due" for one.

No South Park? I hate you guys:)

Have a great weekend!
Chris
My Blog