Tuesday, October 03, 2006

909 Free AOL

Well, I decided to change my AOL account to a free account, since what I'm paying for is a dial-up number I never use (I have a separate service), and technical assistance I never call.

I hesitated at first because I didn't know what else I might lose. I use AOL for my main email accounts because it's pretty usable and has good spam controls, but I almost never surf the internet through AOL because it was so horribly slow.

Surprise. With the free AOL, the spam controls appear to be less effective - I'm getting three or four spam emails a day now, as opposed to the prior zero. That's still pretty good!

Bigger surprise - internet loading is MUCH faster now - almost as fast as Firefox and Netscape.

Biggest surprise - no new advertising. No new pop-ups. Nice and quiet. Looks the same as it always has.

Cool.

No comments: