Monday, October 02, 2006

906 Stood Up!

Monday, October 2, 2006

I was supposed to meet a guy from an oline dating service today, at 4 pm, on the patio of a restaurant in Rhinebeck. I went, got there about 3:55, and waited (reading my book) until 4:20. No show.

This may be the first time in my entire life that I've been stood up (except times when Roman said he'd call me and then didn't, which FELT like being stood up). Actually, with the online dating stuff, I'm surprised it hasn't happened before, since you never know what's really on the other end of those emails. So far everyone has been pretty ok (except for the usual weight, age, and health deceptions).

So at 4:20 I decided to leave. I thought I might stop by Piper's office on my way home, since I hadn't seen him in over a week, so I called him to make sure he'd be there. When I told him where I was (one of his favorite restaurants), and laughed that I'd been stood up, he said "Stay there! I'll be there in 10 minutes!", and he was.

So we went in and had some soup and an hour's good conversation. It was probably more fun than if Mystery Man had shown up.

(And no, there wasn't a single person there who even remotely could have been the culprit, and there were no teenagers giggling about the lady who fell for their fake profile and showed up to be humiliated (which I wasn't anyway), and there was no email or phone message when I got home (and I won't email him to ask, if there was an honest error, he'll have to contact me) - so 'tis a mystery. I do have a phone number he sent me, but I never call these guys or give them my phone number until AFTER I've met them, because with my phone number (even if cell or unlisted) they can get my full name and home address (yeah, I'm sure, 'cause I've done it myself), and, for a few dollars, even more details. One must be careful....)

--------------------------

Just saw some photos of Anna Nichol taken in the hospital just after the birth of her baby. She's actually very pretty without makeup, and with her hair pulled back (instead of those tortured hairstyles she usually has).

Which reminds me - Piper says I should cut my hair to mid-neck length. I told him to go to hell.

No comments: