Thursday, June 29, 2006

766 More 800-503-7001

I'm still getting several search hits a day, people looking for info on 800-503-7001, but almost no one is leaving a comment as to their experience, so thank you Wolfgang for leaving the following comment and letting me know what's been happening. (And, uh, let us know whether you get billed!)

If you are here because you got an odd call from that number, please leave a comment on this post and tell us what your experience was. (If you don't have a Blogger account, don't worry about the "Login" part of the comments form - it won't be necessary to actually log in.)

I'll be happy to act as "800-503-7001 Central". Come back and see what others have to say.

------------------------------------

At 5:28 PM EDT, Wolfgang K said...
When you see the Caller ID 800-503-7001 DO NOT PICK-UP!!!

Today, 06/28/2006 at 13:11 PDT I received a call from them, stating that they are [why-pe-dot-com], something like yp.com.

The guy on the phone initially only wanted to confirm my business information he had for a yellow page listing and then said that they would offer me premium service for free. After he had confirmed all the info with me on the phone, he brought an automated and recording service on the line that asked to answer the questions after the beep. Answers will be recorded, he said and that I am not supposed to hit pound after each answer, instead he would do so for me.
So as soon as I had answered the questions like what is the business name and address and my name and title, they said that they now will start with a free complimentary yellow page business listing that will be upgraded automatically after ten days and the monthly service charge of $39.99 will be billed directly on the next phone bill. I clearly said 'no' at that time and that I am not accepting any such offer. Outrageously enough the guys said, you need to answer with 'yes' to confirm your understanding that you will have to call to cancel your service, do you understand? At that time I said 'no, I am not accepting any service' and assume that this still would have been recorded. So technically, I should be OK and they should not be able to charge anything on my phone bill.

Since they apparently can bill through the phone company, there must be some sort of affiliation even though the automated voice said that there was no direct relationship with the public phone service provider. Since they have the ability to charging their service on the phone bill they must be regulated under FCC regulations - I assume.
Somebody should go and get them!
------------------------------------

In the call I got, the woman didn't get any further than comfirming that I am (Hidden), and then she hung up. No explanation of why she wanted to know, which messed with my head more than a little.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I got a call from "yp.com" recently asking about my business and website. They told me they were the people who control the rankings on the search engines. I told them I wasn't interested in anything they had to offer and the guy got mad at me on the phone telling me I had to answer his questions and confirm my business information with him. I hung up. I didn't note the phone #, but I went to the website they told me and it doesn't exist. NOT a good way to scam people, to get mad at them when they realize you're lying right off the bat.

Herlock Sholmes said...

Case Solved!

Herlock Sholmes and his assistant wolfgang K

Anonymous said...

I have received several calls from that number but when I answer it there is nobody there. One time they ended up leaving 2 minutes of dead air on my voice mail. I love the fact that they "control" the search engine rankings! I've been looking for that company!