Sunday, June 25, 2006

758 Spyware Zapping

Sunday, June 25, 2006

Last night I installed Spybot - Search & Destroy, and started a scan. After one hour, Spybot had scanned all of about 8,000 of 41,392 files, or definititons, or whatever that number is. I left it running and went to bed.

When I checked this morning, I expected to see the promised red and green list of bad stuff and maybe-ok stuff. Instead, I found ... nothing. Then I noticed that some things that I had stopped before starting Spybot, like the external hard drive handler, were up. Apparently, sometime during the night, the system had restarted.

Spybot wouldn't do that. About the only time I've seen the system re-IPL itself is when the electricity bounced. And when power blinks enough to cause that, household clocks are left blinking - especially the one on the microwave.

The microwave is not blinking.

I have no idea what happened.

I restarted Spybot, and it seems to be running faster this morning, even though I'm typing this into Notepad at the same time.

-----------------------------------------------

Well, an hour and a half later, it has found:
  • Ferret
  • Hotbar
  • WebTrends live
  • ValueClick
  • SexTracker (?!?!)
  • MediaPlex
  • HitBox
  • FastClick
  • DoubleClickCoreMetrics
  • CasaleMedia
  • BFast
  • Avenue A, Inc
  • Alexa Related
  • Adviva
  • Advertising.com
  • Bluemountain
  • BonziBuddy
All in red. I had Spybot remove or neuter them all.

No comments: