Monday, May 22, 2006

697 Back From the Glen

I'm back. I'm happy.

I went home with Roman after the Third Thursday dinner, and we left from there after his Friday morning class. We needed two cars, one to leave at the bottom of the mountain, and the other to drive to the top, so we picked up a rental at Avoca. We stayed at the little hotel (which advertises itself as "conveniently located in the Middle of Nowhere"). I can't tell the name of it here because they don't rent to anyone they don't already know, because there's no one there when the restaurant isn't open, so they have to trust you. We had the whole place to ourselves.

It did rain off and on all weekend, but on the mountain it was mostly cloudy, with occasional patches of sun, and occasional patches of showers, so we did the trail anyway. It sprinkled three times during the 3.5 miles of the falls trail, but only the last shower was very heavy, and we were almost at the end by then. We got very wet and very very muddy from the knees down (we may never get the stains out of our shoes), but it wasn't too bad.

The rain actually made things perhaps more beautiful. There was more water roaring over the falls, the leaves were bright and shiny, and the wet tree trunks were in high contrast. Every once in a while the sun would burst through, and it was glorious.

I wore the right shoes this time, Daughter, so my toes didn't get stubbed. I hurt nowhere today.

Roman took a lot of photographs, which he will email to me soon, and I took a few with my 35-mm which I'll take in today to get developed and put on a CD. I'll post a selection sometime later.

He surprised me at one point. He set the timer on the camera so we could get a picture of us together, and then when it was counting down for the second photo, he kissed me. So there are two photos of us standing in front of the trail map sign, and one of them is rather incriminatingly difficult to explain away. It will be interesting to see whether he trusts me enough to send me a copy of that one.

Now I have to get dressed to go to the Maritime Museum to finish a project, and tonight there's a Mensa activities-planning dinner in Fishkill that I had promised to attend.

1 comment:

Kate said...

Sounds like a great weekend!