Thursday, May 04, 2006

#672 100 Things About Me

There's a meme going around where you are to list 100 things about yourself. It's not as easy as it sounds.
  1. I was born in Scranton, Pa.
  2. I will be 62 years old next October
  3. I feel 37 years old
  4. Until I was 7, my family moved every few weeks (military)
  5. Until I was 17, my family moved every 1-2.5 years
  6. I didn't develop youthful social skills because there seemed to be no point, just pain
  7. I am the eldest of five, I have two brothers and two sisters
  8. I feel guilty because I am not much in contact with my siblings
  9. I feel guilty because my youngest sister died in her early 40s of alcoholism
  10. I feel guilty because my youngest brother is likely to die of a drug overdose
  11. I am afraid of the other brother
  12. I avoid contact with my siblings because the feelings are too strong
  13. Although I'm sure she must have at some time, I cannot remember my mother ever touching me
  14. I avoid hugging
  15. I crave hugs
  16. I graduated from a tiny high school on a mountain, most of my classmates had outhouses
  17. Within a year of graduation, 40% of the boys in my class asked me to marry them
  18. My mother had to cosign my first teaching contract because I was still a minor
  19. I've had several repeating dreams that have later come true, down to the details
  20. I am afraid of repeating dreams
  21. I am afraid of spiders
  22. I am not afraid of any other insects or animals
  23. I love mice
  24. I love toads
  25. I have a fox den in my front yard
  26. I sleep halfway on my stomach and halfway on my side
  27. I have an extremely high pain threshold, the "sternum rub" consciousness test doesn't work on me
  28. I am extremely conscious of pain, because I can't tell how serious it is
  29. I have fibromyalgia - I always have pain somewhere
  30. My anger is brief, but violent
  31. My love is forever, and passionate
  32. I know that #30 and 31 sometimes scare people, but I don't care
  33. I want to understand everything, which sometimes frustrates people close to me
  34. I often feel like I understand nothing, which frustrates me
  35. Psychoanalysis saved my life
  36. I almost always score 99.5%ile or above on standardized tests, on almost any subject
  37. ...including IQ tests
  38. I believe in fairies
  39. I am serious about #38
  40. I like nerds
  41. There are only two men that I believe knew the real me, and really truly loved me, and they both died young, one at age 32, the other at 49
  42. I lost four babies - three miscarried and one near-term stillborn after an apartment fire - before having Daughter at 31.
  43. I've had three husbands, two ex and one late
  44. I believe I will marry five times
  45. I won't tell you why I believe that, but I do
  46. I am afraid to marry a fourth for love
  47. I collect teapots
  48. I collect buttons
  49. I collect dust bunnies
  50. I own about 5,000 books
  51. I haven't had a bad cold in three years, maybe longer
  52. I am an excellent craftsman
  53. I have little creativity
  54. I have many skills
  55. I have no talents
  56. I can't dance well - no sense of rhythm
  57. Amadeo and I once cleared a dance floor in New Haven doing a fancy cha-cha
  58. Ruby, Jeannie, and I often enthralled the audience at the 6-15 club doing the Charleston
  59. I can't dance, but I can fake it well
  60. I love the sound of bells, especially carillons
  61. I own 7 different types of musical instruments, and can't play any of them
  62. My feet are always odiferous, even though there's nothing wrong, and even when I wear sandals all day
  63. My plans always outstrip my abilities or capacity or interest
  64. I hate being cold
  65. I don't mind heat
  66. I love hard cloudbursts when the sun is still shining through - I go out and play in the rain, even now
  67. I love when the sun is low but strong, so it lights leaves from underneath, and the air turns green and gold
  68. I don't like drizzle
  69. I read, or work crosswords or logic puzzles before falling asleep
  70. I often end up sleeping with the light on
  71. I prefer the freedom of a hotel to staying with friends or family, or even B&Bs, when I travel
  72. I can't cook
  73. I am very good at research
  74. I have a learning disability - I can't internalize the concept of "left" and "right"
  75. Marijuana makes #74 worse - to where I get seasick
  76. Yeah, I tried it - once, in the late 70's - and now I am so sensitive to it I get dizzy at the first whiff
  77. I can't remember names - people, places, flowers, bands, books, whatever
  78. I have been catless for only one short period since 1958
  79. All of my leukemia-free cats have lived into their twenties
  80. I don't mind being short
  81. ... but I wish my legs were longer
  82. I am very strong, and not just physically
  83. I am very sexual, sensual, and sensuous
  84. I tend to be very naive
  85. There's a large gap between my emotions and my intellect - maybe not a gap, maybe a wall
  86. I think #85 is a good thing
  87. I enjoy complicated crewel embroidery
  88. I am slightly ashamed that I enjoy embroidering
  89. I dislike spectator sports - I don't see any point to it
  90. I like equestrian spectator sports, even though there is no point
  91. I like strong drums, heavy rhythms, the thump in the chest
  92. I tear up when I watch marching bands in parades, especially kids doing it well
  93. I'm not patriotic
  94. I enjoy watching someone do something well, from dancing to teaching to sculpting, anything
  95. I refuse to fight over anything less than a life/death matter, I give in because it isn't worth it
  96. I prefer not to take responsibility for anything other than myself
  97. I have difficulty asking strangers personal questions
  98. When I do ask questions, they are frequently probing questions, the recipient gets defensive, and I come off as sarcastic, or trying to trap them
  99. I am afraid of sounding sarcastic
  100. I love.

No comments: