Saturday, April 29, 2006

#664 Nails

Saturday, April 29, 2006

Ok, Daughter, gotta tap into your education - what makes a light fixture kill bulbs? I'm getting tired of feeding the ceiling fixture in the den. These lights are on no more than some other lights elsewhere in the house, but the bulbs will burn out literally within a month. The fixture has three positionable metal "cans" that hang down (they look just like the cans on the old '70s pole lamps), and I put 60 watt bulbs in them. The first bulb will die within three or four weeks, and the third to die will usually go within 10 weeks. Do they get too hot or something? I'm thinking I may have to replace the fixture. This is ridiculous.

The roofers have been here, and have stripped the front half of the roof, and have applied some kind of tar paper-looking stuff, and the new shingles will be delivered Monday. I mentioned to the head honcho that I was worried about nails on the driveway, and he said no problem, they will clean up "real well." I asked if they use a magnet, and he said yes and showed me one on the side of the tool box.

After they left, I went out and patrolled the driveway myself. I picked up twelve nails and eight huge staples. Just lying there. Glinting in the sun. Right where I turn around and park.

The van is staying on the grass, 30 feet from the house, until they're completely finished!

I went to the grocery store today, and ran into Piper there. I was buying stuff to make spaghetti and meat balls, and Piper talked me into buying a special type of cheese to grate on top. It was very expensive, but he said it was worth it. Only later did the irony strike me -- my financial advisor urging me to buy cheese at $14 a pound.

No comments: